Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Being My Own Fertility Advocate


All the books I have read say the same thing: be your own advocate by educating and involving yourself fully in the process of infertility treatment. As a librarian, it is in my nature to research ad nauseum, so I never doubted that I would read nearly everything I could find on the topics of PCOS and infertility, particularly if there was information that included both topics. The first two books I read were completely about infertility treatments, because that was what was available in the library where I work. They were great books that actually got me excited for the process. I was nervous about how to approach the subject with friends, family, or even colleagues, but these books had some great suggestions. Furthermore, both books were really encouraging when it came to possible treatments for women with PCOS. I learned that NO treatment was off the table! That was the greatest news, because our first infertility doc (the idiot I mentioned in my previous post) limited our options to using Clomid and, when that failed, which he was certain it would, we would need to try in vitro fertilization (IVF), a very expensive and invasive process. I was so ecstatic that these books were proving a doctor I already didn’t trust dead wrong. I would stop reading at points to tell my husband about the “latest treatments”, or about how there are even some holistic approaches, such as acupuncture, that I never even thought of.
I continue to be amazed by how far technology has progressed. My husband and I were able to have talks about what we felt would be the stopping point, as in “how far is too far”. We have different ideas on this point. My husband is a science guy with scientist parents. He believes that technology can never push the envelope too far. That the more we learn and evolve as a people is further proof that God allows us to grow and evolve. I believe that when we create life, even if it is in a Petri dish, then it is life, and shouldn’t be discarded. Although this creates another moral dilemma, because what if you are one of the lucky ones to have five great eggs, but you don’t want five children. Do you donate your eggs to other families? Leave them frozen just in case? It’s a lot to think about. I know there are many Christian organizations that do not support IVF for this very reason. It’s a moot point currently, because we haven’t even started the most basic of treatments, but it isn’t something my husband and I have ignored, and it is all part of the process of being your own advocate. Incidentally, we have found a good compromising point that we both feel comfortable with.
When it comes to educating yourself, just like any other facet of life, there have to be some boundaries, which is something I learned first hand this week. In my first post I referenced a book by Dr. Vliet called PCOS:. I have officially stopped reading this book, because it crosses the line from informative to downright scary. I did not realize how deadly the effects of PCOS can be, and I suppose knowing that I am at a greater risk for stroke, heart attacks, and diabetes is necessary, but it really just plain freaked me out. The book not only scared the crap out of me, it did little to console the trauma it was inflicting. Dr. Vliet didn’t provide the comfort I found in other books, because that wasn’t her goal. Her book was not about fighting infertility or being your best fertility advocate; it was about what it means to be a woman with PCOS. I realize that someday I will need to fully come to terms with ALL aspects of PCOS, not just the ones concerning infertility, but today is not that day. To be the best advocate for my health, I had to put aside some of the information that added unnecessary stress, and live for today. Incidentally, I cleansed my mind with a mind-numbing teen love story, and just started a new PCOS book that focuses specifically on infertility. In the introduction alone, I was already reassured with this statistic: 70% of women with PCOS can conceive naturally once their hormones are balanced (another tack in the win column for Dr. Smith and his treatment regiment), and 90% of women who cannot conceive naturally can conceive with fertility treatments (Harris, 2004). On a side note, this means my husband was right about both of these books. He told me not to get the one by Dr. Vliet, but I insisted it would also be helpful. I hate it when he’s right :)!
I wanted to end by sharing with you what my officemate said to me as I was telling her about the big, bad, scary book: “If you want to know your future, open the Bible and read about God’s love. That is your future, April. Not just what you read in that book.” How right she was!
Love to all- April

Favorite I have read so far:
Schoolcraft, William (2010). If at first your don’t conceive. New York: McMillan.

Book reading now:
Harris, Collette and Theresa Cheung (2004). PCOS and your infertility. Carlsbad, California:
Hay House.

No comments:

Post a Comment