Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Most Useless Place... The Waiting Place

     Wednesday, we went back to the doctor to work out our pregnancy plan. I prepared my heart for two possible outcomes: 1-we wait a month to see what my body will do on its own; 2-we start treatments (most likely Clomid) this month and see how my body reacts. Dr. Smith chose the wait and see method, which isn't that bad, because it gives my body a chance to get pregnant naturally. But, I worry what will happen this month with my hormones. Since we already know that my hormones are unbalanced when I am off the birth control, I wonder if, in one month off the pill, they will revert back to their abnormal levels. If that happens, what will that mean for us moving forward with treatments. Dr. Smith did make one thing pretty clear: the likelihood of me actually ovulating on my own is minuscule, because I haven't had a "spontaneous period" since 2009. I believe in prayer, and I believe in God-created miracles, so I KNOW it is possible for me to have a period this month, but I am also prepared for that not to happen. In three weeks, we are to go back to the doctor to repeat some blood work to see what actually did happen to my body this month. We have to wait the three weeks, so that the birth control can work its way out of my system. At that time, we will create our real pregnancy plan.
     I asked the doc about Clomid as a starting point next month. And, I learned of one pretty intense side effect that I had not read about in my research. WARNING THIS IS A LITTLE GRAPHIC SKIP AHEAD IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT! Clomid does cause women to ovulate, but it can cause the body to stop creating cervical mucus, which would mean that the sperm would not be able to get to the egg anyway. This essentially defeats the purpose, so it doesn't work with every women's body. I have read that if a woman doesn't get pregnant in three tries on Clomid, she never will. This is the reason why.
     In the meantime, while we await for the next three weeks, we have received the best doctors orders anyone get get: have sex every other day. If you are reading this blog, and you already have planned children, you know the importance of timing. All the best literature on the baby making subject says sex everyday will cause the sperm to not be mature enough, and abstaining from sex for longer than five days will cause more dead sperm than living. Most (s)experts recommend every other day for the most viable sperm and optimal opportunity for conceiving. Some may say that this is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of intimacy. I love my husband. Why wouldn't I want to be intimate with him? I think it also helps that we are still technically newlyweds.
     Anyway, stay tuned for more info in three weeks. And, please keep praying for us. God has already begun to create a miracle in my body through balancing my hormones in only two months. I cannot wait until I can help God grow a miracle in my body.

"You can get so confused that you'll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles cross weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place. The Waiting Place..." Dr. Seuss Oh, the Places You'll Go

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you two! Even though there is still uncertainty, I know things will work out for you two.

    ReplyDelete